The Romanian Deadlift is one of the key exercises in strengthening your posterior chain. Although it is very similar to the standard barbell deadlift, it places a majority focus on your Hamstrings and glutes. Whilst the synergists include the Erector spinae, Latissimus dorsi, Trapezius and forearms making it a great all-rounder!
The Romanian Deadlift can be done with a barbell, dumbbells, and kettlebells making it a very versatile movement! It requires you to place your feet shoulder width apart with your knees slightly flexed, your core tight, your chest inflated and you shoulder blades pulled back. The weight of choice should be held slightly in front of your body.
Once you are in position you should then begin to lower the weights towards the floor for 3 seconds, all the while keeping your knees in a fixed position with your shoulders back. As you lower it is important to deeply breathe outwards. When you feel a pull in your hamstrings and glutes you should then slowly straighten back up to standing position whilst deeply breathing in.
In order to improve muscle size and posterior strength we should aim for 6-8 reps for around 3-5 sets on a weight that challenges you. If you are looking to simply improve overall strength and fitness aim for 8-12 reps for 3-5 sets on a comfortable weight.
- Straight Leg Deadlift
- Single leg Deadlift
- The Romanian Deadlift is great for improving core strength as you are keeping the weight braced throughout.
- It is great for improving strength in the posterior chain and therefore improving posture in everyday life, eliminating those little aches and pains.
- This is great for burning bad cholesterol in the body as it is high intensity training and therefore promoting the development of good cholesterol
- Great for STRESS RELIEF
- Weight training enhances flexibility, bone density and also decreases the likelihood of developing arthritis in the body.
- Has been shown to prevent cognitive deterioration with age!
- Improves our self-esteem giving us a sense of achievement and therefore improving our moods!
- Last but not least – increased muscle mass, particularly in the rear!
Give it a try and feel the burn!