The glute bridge is the perfect starting point to get a bum like Beyoncé! The glute bridge not only works on improving the tone and strength within the glutes but it also works on improving the lower back strength! This exercise is perfect for those who sit behind a desk all day as this can cause lower back and glute weaknesses!
- Lie down on a secure, flat surface facing upwards. Bring your knees up with your feet flat against the floor to form a triangle with approximately a 90o angle at the knee joints.
- At beginner level position feet shoulder width apart to enable balance and stability. Aim to bring the feet and knees together.
- Place your arms out to the side between 90o and 45o with palms facing down and fingers spread.
- Once in a comfortable and stable position, raise your hips in the air so that from the shoulders to the knees the body forms a straight line. Hold this position for a couple of seconds before retracting and pulsing back to the top again.
- On the upward phase don’t push through with your heels ensure all of the movement and power comes from within the hips.
- Aim for 10 reps and 3 sets
- Completely close the gap between the feet and the knees
- Form a cross with your arms to reduce the stability and support of the exercise
- Raise one leg
- Hold a dumbbell/barbell against the hips
- Position feet on top of a bosu ball
- Position a pad between your knees (this way you have to squeeze and adduct your legs
The glute bridge strengthens the lower back, glutes, core and hamstrings and also improves the flexibility around the hip joint. The glute bridge also enhances the stability of the core and the spine! It can also be done with no equipment (with progressions too!) in almost any location.
If you can repeat this exercise around 2 times per week at 3 sets of 10 reps then you will keep getting closer to achieving a bum like Beyoncé!