Are you thinking of starting a new fitness journey? Then follow our top tips below to help you achieve your goals!
- Take your ‘before’ pictures– No one likes their day 1 photos or measurements, but by capturing all the basic information you’ll establish a starting place. Then when you review this after roughly 30 days, you’ll see how much you’ve changed. So, no matter what the numbers are saying on the scales, as long as you can see and feel a change then you’ve made progress.
- Don’t cut out all of your favourite foods– Cutting out foods you enjoy will make you miserable and set yourself up for failure. If your diet is really bad; a lot of soda, fried food, sugary food and drinks then a lot of this might have to go. Look for healthy recipes for your favourite cheat meals e.g. burgers, pizzas. Think of this new journey as a boot camp, your training for the body you’ve always wanted. So feed that body with the food it needs lean proteins, complex carbs and lots of nutrient packed vegetables. Think about your diet as an 80/20 split. Eighty percent of the time eat ‘clean’. The other 20 percent of the time don’t stress about it. If you really want that beer or that cookie, have it. One cookie isn’t going to be your downfall.
- Plan and prep your meals– Planning and prepping your meals every week, makes it easier to eat healthier because you don’t have to think about it every day. Just grab your pre planned and prepped meal and go.
- Push through the soreness– Starting a new fitness program you will feel sore. Soreness is a difficult thing to deal with but stopping completely won’t reduce the soreness. If you do get sore, back off but don’t stop. Doing a workout at 50 percent is a lot better than nothing and will help your soreness fade quicker. Keep moving and stretching to reduce DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness).
- Get back on program if you fall off– Don’t beat yourself up or wait till the next week to start again. Everyone has an unhealthy meal sometimes or misses a workout. Don’t let that define you. Just get back on track, you’re on a journey and on the way, there are going to be a few misses. If you pick yourself up and keep going, you’ll get there.
- Share what you’re doing– If you share what you’re doing with people around you, there’s a greater chance of you reaching your goals because you’re creating a social support system. Ignore negativity, focus on yourself and let others around you support you.
- Enjoy– Finally enjoy the process of becoming a better version of you. Never look at how far you’ve got to go, look at how far you’ve come. Find a fitness program and diet plan that you enjoy, and make you journey as positive as you can.
I hope you found these top tips helpful in order to start your new fitness journey today!